top of page

Making Complaints

Woman in Wheelchair_Striped Top_Neutral-

Complaints about healthcare and treatment

If you’re not happy with the care or treatment you’ve received or you’ve been refused treatment for a condition, you have the right to complain, have your complaint investigated, and be given a full and prompt reply.
You can complain either to the service that you’re unhappy with, or you can complain to your local primary care trust that commissioned the service. The complaint should be made as soon as possible. Complaints should normally be made within 12 months of the date of the event that you’re complaining about, or as soon as the matter first came to your attention.


Patient Advice and Liaison Service

Officers from the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) are available in all hospitals. They offer confidential advice, support and information on health-related matters to patients, their families and carers. You can find your local PALS office at the PALS Directory

Independent Complaints Advocacy Service

The Independent Complaints Advocacy Service is a national service that supports people who wish to make a complaint about their NHS care or treatment. Contact your local service through the hospital manager, PALS or through POhWER. Equal Lives delivers an NHS Complaints service for disabled people and people with mental health problems in Norfolk, in partnership with POhWER.

You can visit Healthwatch to find your local Healthwatch service to have your say about health and social care treatment in your area. 

Complaints about your Benefits

You can complain to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) for anything to do with Jobcentre Plus, The Pension Service, Disability and Carers Service and DWP Debt Management. Equal Lives can help you to put in a claim for benefits or appeal a benefit decision, visit our Welfare Benefit pages to find out more. 

Complaints about Assessments

PIP Assessment Complaints – Independent Assessment Services 
PIP Assessment Complaints – Capita
ESA Assessment Complaints – Health Assessment Advisory Service (also known as Maximus or CHDA)


Complaints about Tax Credits​

Tax Credits Appeals and Complaints


How to challenge legal decisions


Unfortunately, we cannot offer qualified legal advice or represent you in Court. 


Citizens Advice have some useful information on finding free or affordable legal advice. Your local Citizens Advice Bureau may be able to help offer an appointment with a solicitor. 


Norfolk Community Law Service can help with a range of free, confidential legal advice. 

bottom of page